What is Botox®?
Botox is a form of Botulinum toxin that has been purified and diluted to be safe for cosmetic use. Botulinum toxin is a muscle relaxant, and when administered in the form of Botox®, can significantly ease the appearance of some wrinkles.
Although Botox® is a toxin, it is FDA-approved for frown line treatment, it is not believed to have caused serious side effects, and the treatment does not carry the same risks of infection that may be present with facelift surgery.
How Botox® Works?
When Botox® is injected into facial muscles, the toxin temporarily blocks neuron activity, which prevents full muscle contraction. Because the muscles can no longer contract, the appearance of wrinkles caused by facial movements like frowning, raising the eyebrows, or squinting is significantly reduced.
Botox® injections are an ideal solution for smoothing the skin between eyebrows, eliminating lines on the forehead, and reducing the appearance of crow’s feet around the eyes.
What Botox® Treats
We inject a small amount of Botox® into the muscles that create the wrinkles. This Botulinum derivative blocks the nerve impulses from reaching that area of the muscle and the contractions begin to weaken. As the muscle weakens, the Botox®-treated areas begin to relax and the wrinkles in the skin become less visible and often disappear altogether.
Botox® injections can be used to treat several types of wrinkles, including crow’s feet and frown lines.
What are the Advantages of Botox®?
- Fast and effective. A typical treatment will show results after 4-7 days, and takes only 10-15 minutes to complete.
- Little discomfort – we take great care in administering these injections
- There is no “down-time.” After the Botox® injections, you may resume normal activity or go back to work
- Creates natural-looking results without evidence that you’ve had work done
- There is no decrease in sensation or numbness of Botox® treated areas
- The effects of Botox® injections are reversible; lasting 3 to 9 months
- Repeated injections for one year in 3 month intervals may cause a muscle memory response to develop, thus enhancing Botox® effects. Although such effects will not be permanent, a regular treatment schedule may increase the effectiveness of injections!
- Botox® is a nonsurgical approach to treat wrinkles, which eliminates the need for anesthesia and long recovery times